Sunday, January 6, 2008

Art, Old English Sheepdogs, and Gimmick Dating

Today I accompanied my friend, the lovely Christine, to the Detroit Institute of Art. The place looks pretty cool after a 160 million dollar facelift. We saw Renoirs, Van Goghs, a bunch of medieval art, some creepy modern stuff and one of my personal favs, Matisse. Why is he my favorite? Is it because he was a revolutionary Parisian artist well-known for his wavy, colorful style? No, its because thats what I want to name my dog when I'm older. I think its a great name. Of course, I'd shorten it so that he'd be called 'Matty,' but I think dogs named after famous artists are the coolest. I have friends in Dallas whose dogs are named Modigliani and Chagall (this would be my choice for my dog's name since my family actually HAS a Chagall, but I'd feel like I'm ripping my friends off, so Matty it is.) I dunno, there's something about naming an animal after high-brow art that has an 'I'm better than you' air that no other kinds of name share. I'm kind of a snob, what can I say? My second dog's name? I'm thinkin' Botticelli.

Speaking of dogs, I got to see Christine's Old English Sheepdogs...they're fantastic. Plus they loved me and gave me a tounge bath for the ages...now if only I could translate this to human females...

Which gets me to my final point. A friend of mine was crafting a poem with the intention of asking a girl out with it. I loved it...plus, I wrote the third line of it and demand a writing credit. Well, I'll settle for the girl just saying 'yes' to them because I think they'd make an adorable couple, but my question is: Does this really work? Does gimmick work in real life or is this just in the movies? I feel like when I've done this sort of thing in the past that I'm being sort of a creeper (although the '100 things about myself' list I gave to certain people at my prom was pretty smashing, if I do say so myself. I'm still giving myself mad props for that one. If you don't know what I'm talking about, ask me, its a good story, plus you'd prompt me to talk about someone I'm techinically not allowed to otherwise per my New Year's Resolution.) I can appreciate the idea of going out of your way to ask a girl out and making her feel special. Trust me, I'm all for it; silly, creative/romantic stuff I feel is a strength, if not my forte. But really, why do I have to stand on my head just to have a girl go out with me? I'm not asking anyone to marry me. Can't I just say 'wanna go do XYZ?' It's all so much pressure. I want to know when a girl's gonna stand on her head for me, risk looking like an idiot only to hear me say 'yay' or the ever more ubiqiutous 'nay.' Have fun, ladies.

P.S. What rhymes with "chest hair?" I figure I'd get a head start...

1 comment:

Sheree Rensel said...

I call my crib my NEST or LAIR.
I go REST THERE.
For me to be a PEST would be RARE.
Go out with me. I’ll show your around with ZEST and CARE.
Then maybe later, I will let you play with my CHEST HAIR!

I know it is lame, but at least I tried to help you!! LOL LOL