Tuesday, July 8, 2008

July 4th/ Halfway Done with LA

The 4th of July holiday marks the midpoint of my LA experience. It's been 6 long weeks (actually, a little more) since I left my parents house in Nebraska and I have 6 weeks before I return and mercifully leave shortly thereafter. Why mercifully? BORING!!!! I like the part where she does a video of my parents' remodeled bathroom. Wow.

Anyway, my Independence Day was good. My aunt came in from Dallas to mull around West LA with me. We had dinner at a house of friends of hers on the 4th which happened to be Friday night, which is Shabbat night in the Jewish world-they were a gay couple (two of the nicest people) which made me think... I don't think I've ever had a Californian gay Kosher 4th of July Shabbat dinner. It turned out well. I guess there's a first time for everything. One of the other guests at the dinner both knew my boss at work AND grew up in Dallas and had the same high school English teacher that I did. And, unbeknownst to my aunt, her first EVER date was also a guest. Wild and crazy stuff. 

After dinner, everyone trekked a few blocks straight up the Studio City mountainside to Mulholland Drive (on top of the Hollywood Hills) to watch fire works...

 Although, that I've done before. (7/04/05)

Other highlights of the trip included dinner at the world-famous Spago (Wolfgang Puck) which was really great (I know it's cliche, but shut up), cupcakes from Crumbs which kicks the fucking hell out of Sprinkles (strange but true), a pair of new Converse tennis shoes compliments of Aunt Saundra, saw Dyan Cannon in Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills, and the crown jewel of the trip, dinner at Itzaka-ya by Katsu-ya on Third (in my old WeHo hood). If you like Japanese food/ sushi, please go. It's the non-sexual erection of Japenese dining, I kid you not. 

In other news, I've become terribly homesick. I facebook stalk my friends (and only my friends, thank you) and watch old Michigan football highlights on YouTube when I feel this way. I can't wait for football season. I have a feeling we're not going to suck as bad as EVERYONE thinks we will. We should still have some tricks up our sleeves. I'm def coming to the Rose Bowl next year if they make it! 

LA is fine, but I miss 314 Cambridge House, playing Paintrain football, and Amy's gross feet (or at least making fun of her feet which I pretend are gross at her expense). I know I'll be sick of it two days in (with all the college kids, who can blame me!?), but I really miss it right now. 

 Finally, after years of bother, my parents have officially withdrawn from finding me a future mate. My father has graciously stepped aside from embarrassing me every time we leave his home together. Free at last! The real winners here? The fine women of Omaha, who no longer have to awkwardly slide out of an embarrasing conversation with my dad, feigning interest in his son while my dad goes into "Look at me" mode. I stand corrected, this is the highlight of my holiday weekend.

PS I've watched the "Old Gregg" video that everybody seems to be up in arms about and I hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Am I missing something here???

No comments: