Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thoughts from 4/30

I had my bi-annual tea time with my mom today. I typically don't like tea. I really only like it when its a super sweet version (like the carmel flavor tea I had) with milk and tons of sugar in it. I also decided to forgo the dopey finger sandwiches filled with cucumber and salmon with the crust cut off, electing instead to indulge in scones (pronounced sk-ons over here in Jolly Ole'). And really, I don't like scones...they're merely a vessel to enjoy clotted cream (sweet buttery substance) and jam, kind of like how a meat lover only eats salad for the dressing. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really don't like tea time, I just like the sugar that comes along with it. I should just save everyone the trouble and down sugar packets. Oh, but tea time is so snooty- I do love it.

Speaking of dopey English things (of which there are many), you would not believe how depressing English television can get. I mean, I don't watch very much TV while I'm here and when I do, all I really watch is old Everybody Loves Raymond episodes (which are terribly underrated), but the commercials here are shockingly sad though. I can't tell you how many TV spots I've seen with upsetting instrumental music featuring deaf-dumb and blind kids in slow motion in B&W looking into the camera crying as an announcer asks for you to "Please help the children." They're so over the top that I half expect the advertisement to abruptly stop and say, "Just kidding. Who LOOOOVES TWINS!? Go Budweiser!" Who knew I'd miss those Wilfred Brimley "Diabeetus" commercials so much...sheesh

For all of your soccer fans there in the States, I'll just let you know that Chelsea defeated Liverpool in extra time (aka overtime) to advance to the European Championship to face Man United. It was a good game and I was thrilled because finally a team wearing blue looked good!(...f'ing Mavericks).

PS I am officially throwing my hat into the ring for Mavs head coach. I have no prior experience other than to say my IM team that I "coached" went 0-4. But it'll be different with the Mavs because they have no girls...other than Jason Kidd of course.  

PPS I fully realized that this is the second straight posted I've finished by insulting a grown man by calling him a girl. I want my readers to know that I respect women as equals...outside the basketball court and faux sporting arenas via gaming consoles. 

No comments: